Lindsay SANTA FE RAILROAD DEPOT
The Lindsay Santa Fe Depot, located at 107 North Main Street in Lindsay, OK was constructed in the year 1903. It’s present day whereabouts were at one time the property of Mr. Lewis Lindsay. Mr. Lindsay donated the fertile Washita Valley agricultural region acreage to the Santa Fe Railroad Company.
At the time that the Santa Fe started laying their tracks west from Pauls Valley, the Rock Island Railroad Company started laying east toward Lindsay, where the two lines met. In 1942, The Rock Island tracks were removed.
This depot was established to provide connections with the rich fertile areas of present day Pauls Valley, Chickasha, and other surrounding areas for shipping goods such as broomcorn, cotton, and agriculture products to various markets in Oklahoma.
The Lindsay Depot handled freight and passenger service. The depot retained it’s role as a shipping/receiving center until it’s closing in the spring of 1985.
The Lindsay Santa Fe Railroad Depot is listed on the Nation’s Register as one of the two oldest Santa Fe Depots in South-Central Oklahoma. It is one of the best two remaining examples of vernacular architecture as applied to railroad stations in the early 1900s.